My husband has a twin sister and she happens to be one of my favorite people. She also happens to have impeccable style in interior design and fashion. And on top of that, she’s a wonderful cook and uses her innate sense of style when creating a meal, plating a dish or setting a table in ways that are unexpected but beautifully subtle.
I created this salad by combining two different salads made by my dear sister-in-law, which also happens to use two of my favorite seasonal ingredients: mushrooms and beets. Oh and there’s always Burrata which is heavenly all-year round.
INGREDIENTS (approx. 4 servings)
For the dressing:
1 bunch of Italian flat leaf parsley
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 garlic clove
2 pinches of fleur de sel
freshly-cracked black pepper
For the salad:
10-11 ounces of Burrata cheese (2 medium balls )
1 medium sized red beet
4-5 large King Oyster Mushrooms (also called King Oyster or French horn mushrooms)
4 red radishes (for garnish)
Extra virgin olive oil
Fleur de sel
- Prepare the vinaigrette by blending the bunch of Italian flat-leaf parsley (including stems), extra virgin-olive oil, the juice of half a lemon, apple cider vinegar, half a garlic clove, fleur de sel, and freshly-cracked pepper. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- Peel the skin off the red beet and slice in paper-thin pieces. I wish I had a Japanese mandoline for this, but just did by hand. Each piece does not need to be a perfect circle.
- Slice the mushrooms long ways and cut each slice about 1/8 inches thick (about 4 pieces per mushroom).
- Cut the radishes into quarters for garnish
- Heat your pan on high and generously drizzle olive oil. When the pan is hot, place in the mushroom slices. Fry each side to a golden brown and season each side with fleur de sel and freshly-cracked pepper.
- Once all of your mushroom slices are cooked, you can start plating.
- If you are plating individual salads, place your beet slices on the bottom of the plate (approx. 4-5 slices or more if you would like). Then cut a ball of Burrata placing 1/2 of the creamy cheese on top of the beets. Then place 4-5 slices of mushrooms on top of the cheese and generously drizzle the parlsley-vinaigrette on the salad. Finish with the radish garnish and a pinch of fleur de sel and freshly-cracked pepper.
- If you are plating a large salad for everyone to share, follow the same instructions as above but in full amounts of each ingredient.